Monday, August 13, 2012

Bus Culture ... seeds of value worth millions

"Looking for a job," he said. "Where are you from?" I asked.  "St. Louis," he said.  "I am in a program here." "What kind of program?" I asked. Well, he said he had two DUI's and he needed to come here for rehab. He was in one of the mission recovery programs. I asked him what he can do. "Big patch cooking." He worked in a large food manufacturing plant before. I told him I was not good at finding jobs. I always had to create my own. This conversation took place as we were waiting for line 26 early Sunday morning.

As we got on the bus, I happened to be sitting directly across from him. He looked downright despondent. He seemed intelligent and somewhat remorseful for the predicament he was in. I felt he wanted to make some changes in his life and showed that by his willingness to come to this area for a recovery stint. After we got off the bus, it went through my mind that I can help him. I didn't get his name. 

 As I walked from the terminal,  a program outline came to my mind. As soon as I got to my morning spot, I began to write it out. Ideas come like that to me... usually fast and furious. I created a 30-day financial recovery plan for someone in desperation. Not just the person on a job furlough, but anyone needing to build some cash quickly in their personal funds. I now have it as a free outline on my website.

This happened several weeks ago. A few weeks before that I had a thought relative to this. I was walking down Dale St. Instead of waiting on a bus, I will many times walk on to the next bus stop or keep walking until the bus nears arrival time.  I end up in some remote places. As I waited for line 2, I was observing the neighborhood. A simple street. Quiet and cozy. A young lady gets some groceries out of her fairly new subcompact car and walks into a small house that looked newly renovated. A nice place for a young married couple I thought. 

Here comes the bus. Some of these drivers I have ridden with before. I wonder if they wonder about all the different places they pick me up. Well, guess it doesn't matter.

As I got on the bus, I was observing the people. They all had the bus stare. When on the bus, you recognize the bus stare. Looking straight ahead with no expression or emotion. A Bible verse popped into my head, "they are sheep without a shepherd." While in college and as part of  my career, I studied brain performance. We all have the same amount of brain cells. Some have learned how to effectively transmit communication through them and some haven't. Like a city bus route... some flow well, some don't. But you can always fix it.

Then the light bulb came on. All these guys have the same amount of "potential" in brain power. Some know how to use it, some don't  What if someone could teach them. If we could mobilize the intelligence of the inactive structures in the brain, we could have capable people all over the place. Then the Bible came back to mind. David, King David of the Israel, had all the cast outs, criminals, disowned, uncultured people as his most loyal army. It was these soldiers who fought for him to take back his position of being King.

These people have no leader. Unless you walk with them, hang with them, ride with them, you have no rights to be their leader. King David earned it with his mighty men. He was with them in the caves they lived in. I saw myself in a hallowed, strategic position. I know the feeling to be offered food, a bottled water, because someone thinks you are poor and homeless. We can restore the dignity of being a human being.

In the USA we have over 100 million people low on money. Like the guy at the bus stop, when reliant on a job, we must have a job to create money. But if we learned income creating skills, like entrepreneurs know, we can create income resources when without a job, or in addition to one to make up the difference needed.

We could teach these skills and we can change America. Who can do this... the combined genius of regular folks, like the bus culture. Local entrepreneur Jack Stack said in his best-selling book, the Great Game of Business, when you raise the bottom you raise the top.

100 million people with income producing skills could turn America around. This was what King David did in the Bible. Jesus was accused of hanging out with the prostitutes, drunks, wheeler-dealers, con men of his era. The Bible reports after he left earth, this bunch was productive as there were no needs among them. The Jesus culture loved each other, helped each other, and were productive as communities. We need new pockets of gift-empowered communities.

We can do it again and revolutionize America.   100 million mobilized Americans with rebuilt hope, entrepreneur skills and support from each other can do this. So... I made the vow then... this is what I will do. The bus culture has what it takes and we can refresh hope, light up life, re-train life skills, create pride in effort and productiveness, and with God's help we can do this.

I had this revolutionary thinking process going on as I was riding down Dale St. and Washington Ave. to my place.

So, my adventure for the summer began... it has a purpose, a reason, a goal. The Bus Culture Experience became a cause.  It is a noble cause that can happen. It's one at a time; we can change America one person at a time. The Bus Driver can be part of it, by giving hope to one rider a day, where the opportunity affords itself. The new, transformational bus operative can be the culture transformer, life renovator and invigorator.

Now, as I look at the patrons I see people who can change America to be hopeful, productive and transformational. I will do my part. Just last week my new website was launched to under gird efforts like this. As the opportunity arises for me, I will incite and refresh hope where I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment