Thursday, March 27, 2014

Being there can be the difference

As I was boarding the Line 2 bus, I ran into Todd getting on.  He told me he was ready to start mowing soon. He had 90 clients to start the year which was a good start to keep him busy. He also said he was on the wagon, meaning he was still keeping away from drinking too much. (Off the wagon is when a person stays on a drinking binge.) Todd told me that if he had a couple beers he would be off to drinking a dozen.

We chatted for a while on the bus and he was telling me how things are going. This was good to hear. It was good to hear him talk so openly and freely about keeping his life on the wagon.
Well, we all got something to work on.  We benefit by having someone who cares about our victories and supports us in our struggles… someone we can celebrate our victories with, and be encouraged by someone who understands. 

As I got off he made a point to give me a huge wave as I walked away. If I were not on the bus I wouldn’t have these times to share and be there with others. I could tell it was an encouragement for Todd to see me. He valued having a time to chat. And I am sure others overheard our conversation, and it was possibly an encouragement to others around us to hear Todd share. 

Positive stories shared on the bus can be like a mini-mobile-motivational seminar. You don’t have to strain too hard to hear conversations.  Once I had a friend suggest we ride the bus together and share our dreams while riding, that maybe it could inspire others to dream too. 

It is important to be where people are who need us. So many relationships can be made while riding and waiting for the bus. It’s there many can make a difference by just being there, and celebrate with those who are making the effort to do good through their lives. It’s amazing that a positive person’s persona, disposition, can affect people around them without using words. 

“Rejoice with those who rejoice,” the Apostle Paul said. To have people who share in what we do and have mini-celebrations together is a blessing in life. 

 Public transit is a great place to be among a varied cross-section of people. Just being there can be the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment