Monday, July 29, 2013

Energizing Life ... a bus driver’s insights


In my Saturday bus trip to the downtown library, I usually like to check the Wall Street Journal Weekend edition and read a few of my favorite editorials. I also look over the best-selling business book section they feature each week. I noticed that the Energy Bus, published several years ago, is still a top-ten bestseller.  I summarized this book in my other blog, where I feature best-selling business books, when it was first published (2007).

The thought crossed my mind .. could we actually use these principles to re- energize a bus system?   The buses whizzing around as they do create an energy across the city...  within their motion and activity. Inside the buses though it seems there is a lack of energy. It does not necessarily feel like a how-to-be-motivated-in-life center.  Many seem to be there to get the most from life with the least from them(based on a conversation I overheard one day).

Won’t get into this now, but we really would serve ourselves well if we could lessen the victimized, entitlement mentality and instill a proactive, we-can-make-a-difference mentality. Now, I agree too, there are times we need some help, and the bus system provides that... as I have been a benefactor of that too. Nonetheless, it is my view we need to always be looking for a better way, wherever we are.

What if we could energize the internal atmosphere of the bus? So it becomes an “energy bus.” There are many ways to do it I presume, and the innovators within communities many times figure these things out for us, or come up with ideas for it.  What if everyone became one of those innovators? (Okay, idealistic, reads well, but not how the real world is, you may say.  Well, couldn’t we nudge the real world a little bit here.)

Could we take the principles in a book like the Energy Bus and apply them to a culture, like the bus culture?.

Well, I am not in charge of the community, but live in it. I keep wondering though … what if we all decided to create an energy bus in all we do, wherever we are.

I just upgraded and re-posted the Energy Bus summary as it continues to be a top ten biz book. Incidentally,  the principles within the Energy Bus are revealed through the insights of a bus driver.


The Energy Bus … a summary:
(One note... my distinction in my posts is applying Spiritual principles to the practical.)

He who gives us life, also gives it abundantly (John 10:10).


No comments:

Post a Comment