Monday, August 17, 2015

Motion Sickness plagues the under-noticed major minority

For about 4 seasons on the bus, I never had a problem with motion sickness. Recently though, on a new, longer, two-door bus it occurred. Wondered why I had a headache and was dizzy when I got off? Then on the same bus a week later it happened again... this time the full thing... bad headache and nausea... feeling dizzy, and the feeling you have to throw up all the time. A non-ceasing horrible feeling.
It hung on several days.

Was puzzled on why it jumped back in my life now. On planes, boats, reading while riding in a car, yes, I would get some motion sickness. All my life. When it reoccurs, after not experiencing it for a while, it seems to stay on longer, come back easier. This last episode lasted longer than most.

So I told the Transit Director about it and he was very gracious to look into it. He checked out everything on the new bus to see what might have caused it. (I hadn't had any real problem in these four years on all the other buses.) He couldn't find anything different. He really did go the extra bus mile to find out if there was something in the dynamics of the bus causing it. Well, have to give him 5 stars for his concerted effort.

Then, I wondered why I have to be the one with motion sickness. I liked the new bus, others seemed to like it, but my physiological person was having a tough time with it. 

I did some research.  I found out I was not the only one in the world. It is projected about 33% of the population are motion sickness prone. Half of those pretty severe, serious, or frequent. Being plagued by it all my life, I thought I was one of the few less fortunate. Then the more I looked into it, the more I heard other stories, had friends who knew others, even ran across a bus driver with motion sickness challenges.

It became evident many have this, most don't tell and there is not much being done to help them.

A person develops an avoidance of what brings them motion sickness, even a dread of facing what has caused it before. It's a psychological avoidance, and probably why many with motion sickness tendencies may avoid mass transportation systems.

In my search I found some good articles about handling motion sickness.  One suggested when boarding a bus, let the bus driver know you have motion sickness issues.
So I did.

(Two parts below: Driver attitude, awareness, a few recommendations.)

Here's what I got from four drivers. One was quite considerately thoughtful. She had to make a 180 degree turn on the bus when it goes to Walmart and turns to head back inbound from outbound. I told her I had motion sickness problems and asked her if she would take the turn slow. She did. She was just fantastic as it gave my inner ear and eye time to line up. (Motion sickness is caused when the inner ear and vision have conflicting information on movement. When you see where you are going it helps.) Kathy, Sunday's 22, also had a customer-responsive suggestion, and said, why don't the drivers let you off across from the bus stop before they make the turn. I got to give her 5 stars for creating a solution and being super considerate.

I told the driver on the bus, from which I got sick before, that I had motion sickness problems with this bus and could he drive steady. His response was," I will drive the bus like I always drive. I got to stay on time." (Had some thoughts on this answer I won’t say.) Decided to give him a half of one star. No awareness.

Got on another bus. Told him. The driver, Wes, has a happy, jovial disposition. Just being around him makes me feel good. "A merry heart does good like a medicine. It will heal you" the proverbial wise man said. Wes gets 5 stars. (I actually started feeling better while on his bus, shortly after a previous ride on the bus nagging at my nemesis.)

When I boarded Dottie's bus I told her. She said she also had motion sickness issues. Of course driving is what she does. (Of all I know with motion sickness risks, including myself, they prefer to drive a car, versus ride. As a driver you avert motion sickness' potential effect on you.)

We got to talking about remedies. Dottie said for her it helps to stand as she rides the bus. There's motion sickness over-the-counter medicine, natural oils you can put on your outer skin area behind the ear lobe. I found a product called Motioneaze... all natural botanical oils. It blocks the motion sickness message of the inner ear to the brain. (Motioneaze's active ingredients are Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh, Ylang-Ylang and Birch.)
Then there is acupressure on the underside of the wrist. You can get bands to wear for this. One person I know said it works for her.

Dottie was a verbal encyclopedia on motion sickness with above average personal knowledge, and a true compassion to those with motion sickness. (She obviously gets 5 stars plus.)


Which leads me to another thought. People who have it are the best consulting resource a transportation company can have... to educate drivers on how to drive with less disruption to motion sickness prone people, and help the organization find better ways to help those with motion sickness problems. We help the handicapped, visually impaired, but the motion sickness people are a seemingly under-noticed, disadvantaged group. We don't know why we get sick. We don't like to get sick and wish we weren't. Knowledge and understanding of us sure would be a benefit to us.

To wrap this up, I would recommend three things.
1. Motion sickness people have helps in the world to help them manage motion sickness(as mentioned above). Other things I learned when riding a bus is it is better to sit facing forward(avoid the side way seats) looking forward and in the direction the bus is going. Keep your eyes glued on watching where the bus is moving, turning, stopping. Watch what the bus driver is doing and anticipate his/her actions in your brain. Sit where cool air hits your face, if possible. Fresh air helps too. Air odors can also cause motion sickness symptoms... especially those fume type smells. In some cases though, the body makes adjustments after a while. On cruises they find those with less severe conditions may adjust after a few days.
2. Bus systems train their drivers on driving techniques that create less hardship on motion sickness prone passengers. And have policies and procedures that aid the motion sickness person. Involve those on your staff who have motion sickness challenges to come up with solutions that can help motion sickness prone people. Those who have it know what helps and what doesn't.
3. Bus manufacturers study motion sickness and engineer buses that are less likely to agitate motion sickness conditions. Motion, air circulation, odor, visibility of motion all affect this and I am sure studies reveal even more.
Maybe produce courtesy guidebooks, training for drivers on driving techniques that help lessen motion sickness. (i.e., "How to drive a bus in a way it doesn't make people sick.")

In my search I could not find an organization that represents the condition of motion sickness people... as there are for the handicapped, visually impaired, etc. Considering a third of our population suffers from motion sickness, an advocacy and educational voice is of merit. An organization called 23andMe, Inc. is known for doing one of the most extensive studies on motion sickness. One out of three experience it, they reported. "70 % risk of motion sickness is due to genetics," they said their study showed.  



Motion sickness people seem to be an under-noticed major minority. The numbers suggest close to 100 million people in the United States have bouts with motion sickness... that's a bunch of people.

Lesson I learned.... If what you do doesn't serve the needs of those you serve, the rest of what you do doesn't matter.

The moral of the story. When people cooperate... such as those with motion sickness with bus transit authorities including bus manufacturers, along with research groups... this would work to a positive, productive solution. When people cooperate to work together to solve a problem, a solution can be gained that will be of mutual benefit.

A merry heart does work good like a medicine.

Happy, positive, solution-driven people working together can improve the quality of the rider's experience and the service of the transit system.

(Oh my... just saw on my route both buses who are my nemesis buses, new, two-door buses. Not looking like a fun bus day. As I said above, we dread to face it. Trying to be, as I said, to be happy and positive. Hard sometimes. What I said above I feel is fair, balanced  and constructive. So the world can be a better place.)


......

No comments:

Post a Comment