Thursday, October 3, 2013

When you ask, you may be surprised who shows up.

Went to get another 31 day pass.  I asked Michelle if she had any ideas for the bus culture experience.  She left her front window for a minute, and the next thing I knew I was in the director’s office talking about what’s going on in the bus transit system. A little nervous at first… you know in school when you get invited into the principal’s office you think,  "must be in trouble now. Oh, my, what could I have done." Turned out to be an insightful time to where transit is going. Shelia was a very pleasant, informative person to visit.

I left this impromptu meeting with a few ideas I plan to elaborate more on in the future. Here’s a few.

1. “So I thought you thought” came to mind. Many times we humans think we think someone is thinking something and it turns out the other person was not thinking that at all. I thought one day a bus driver was frustrated at something I did. Then I thought, how could I know.  He was probably thinking about something I had no clue about. I could let “So I thought you thought” mess with my mind all day. Maybe even get myself so irritated I call transit and complain about the bus driver for something I assumed he was thinking. When in fact … it was just my imagination running away with me (wasn’t there a song like that).
In a run and gun culture we seem to react to things, and what we think the other person is thinking is more a reflection of our own mindset at that time.

All so true… in all we do.

2. “On Time.”  The bus system seems to be pretty good at being on time in their routes. With all the options they face on a route, and uncontrollable factors of people, road construction, amount of traffic….  It’s amazing how well they do. There has to be a trick to how they do it.  For those who value being on time to plan a day, this is a positive benefit of using the bus.

3. An App to track bus routes. Maybe a thing to come. Need to learn more of what this is. Will probably schedule a visit with the transit director to get the scoop on this.  Once I get it right, will pass it on.

A few ideas for future expansion.

One lesson from bus life here… we really don’t know what someone is thinking, so we need to ask and find out. Clarify what is misunderstood, and seek to understand.

“So I thought you thought”  makes me think of  the Apostle Paul… think on the things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


No comments:

Post a Comment