Monday, September 3, 2012

Bus drivers as change agents

It was a rainy day and most were congregating in the terminal. Two were talking and obviously in some kind of a recovery program. The one sounded like he had been incarcerated for a while, and his mindset was one  hardened to changing his ways. He was to some degree continuing to brag on a lifestyle that got him in a bad place in the first place. A bystander was listening to them, and I knew who he was... his brother was also in a recovery program.

As I listened, and watched, I could feel the climate in the room. The person I knew was friendly, until the other two began talking. You could see the him change as the other two talked. Friendly to me at first, then his attitude shifted, to not even looking at me as I walked out to catch a bus. When together, they play tough. When alone, they can be cordial.

Why do I have faith in people being transformed? I have seen it. My Dad owned a dairy operation. He had several working for him on a regular basis. We called them hired hands. On several occasions, some came to my Dad looking for work, just getting out of jail. They asked for a job to start over. In many occasions, my Dad would hire them.

Growing up I had chores to do.  I worked beside these guys on a regular basis. One job which required my assistance was bagging grain to be made into feed for the cows. It took two of us to do it... one to hold the burlap bag and the other to shovel it in. I was the bag holder,  spending hours at a time with many who were rough, from the other side of the tracks, as we worked on chores. More of my time growing up was with these guys than others. As we worked together, they would frequently talk about their lives. My parents were strong Christians, who never cussed, expressed anger, or told vulgar stories. As the boss's son, these guys seemed to respect that and did not do that around me.

Baseball and football were favorite sports of mine. We had pick-up games frequently. Since they lived in houses my Dad owned, we many times played there. My Dad would always invite them to go to church with us. Many wouldn't go, but they had no doubt to what my Dad stood for. Our family was steady in our standards. We never condemned but always stayed consistent to what we believed in. My Dad was always fair, treated everyone with dignity and kindness, and lived who he was. To this day, I don't understand hypocrisy. I never saw a double standard in our home. Those who worked for my Dad never saw a double standard. This over time had an effect. When you do what you believe is honorable and noble... in public and behind closed doors... others just know when you're a straight shooter.

Not to sugar coat all this... I saw my Dad cussed at, lied to, and threatened. Although, he still stayed true to what he believed. 

I saw many lives change. Not so much by words but consistency in lifestyle. It was more about who my Dad was, always honest to others in speech and character. I learned this... respect, kindness, courtesy, honesty, thoughtfulness, consistency win out over time.

One time, when I was in college and home for summer,  I was crossing the town square of the small town where I went to high school. I heard someone call my name. I looked around and there was one of the hired hands I had worked with. It had been several years since I had seen him. He was married, had children, working a steady job, and living straight. He made it a point to tell me the difference my Dad made in his life.  He gave my Dad credit for turning his life around by giving him a second chance.

I think one reason I have been fascinated by the bus culture is it reminds me of my days growing up. I am still acclimating to bus culture, although my desire is to inspire people to always do better, try hard and keep improving themselves. It started in my childhood working with these guys. Some had no vision or ambition.  This again locked in... as I wanted to inspire people in all rungs of life's ladder to continually develop themselves, live for more or better, cultivate vision and make life a personal mission... the bus culture is similar to the element of society of society I grew up with. They are the same kind of folks I have desired to influence to change.

While on the bus and at the terminal, I have seen some unscrupulous people.  Although I firmly believe they can be turned around. Because I have seen it with my own eyes. I have witnessed it happening.

With that in mind I know the leadership who drives the buses are crucial to changing our society. The driver may be the only positive role model some have. A driver's show of respect may be the only respect someone gives them. The belief and kindness shown may be the only belief and kindness someone shows to them.

When this is real, people follow our example. If it is not real, fake, a hypocrisy, people rebel more and become worse. The potential for positive change of our culture is so much in the hands of the transit operator. What they do and how they treat others can change a dark, defeated, hardened part of our world.

I can see it may be challenging to handle certain people every day. But, in the long run, if all the drivers work with a sense of mission within the job, life transformation can be possible, it can begin.

My dogged belief is .... I have seen it, I know it can happen and the transit operator holds a key that can change things to the better, that no one else can. We can start edging the bottom to move it up.

For the record: I do see a high level of professionalism among the operators, nonetheless, the mission may extend beyond this to a civil responsibility. The imperative challenge is being in the strategic position of being a change agent.

Those who drive a bus can lead a needed change in America... by moving the bottom rung of the ladder up a notch or two.  It is more than just a job. It is a special assignment that can bring improvement to society it so desperately needs. A transit system can influence a culture by a proactive persona of operation.

I respect you and am cheering you on.


As my pattern I like songs to communicate my message.   So here's one for the occasion. When a patron gets on,   ... "Hey, why don't you take a chance on me.?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHk2I-sNoGI
("Take a chance on me" by Abba)

My Dad did to many... and he won many over... over time from day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment